The Suicide First Aid (Lite) Course is an ideal opportunity to enhance your Specialist skill set. The 4 hour course will equip you with the skills to spot the early signs that someone may be struggling and build your confidence to apply a ‘first aid approach’ to avoid a crisis.
Most people who are considering suicide, do not in fact want to end their lives - they just want the pain to stop. Through raised awareness, good communication and effective support, lives can be saved.
The 4 hour Suicide First Aid (Lite) Course will enable you to:
- Become confident in having conversations around suicide
- Learn skills to help people with suicidal thoughts
- Develop advanced self care techniques
- Attain the Suicide First Aid (Lite) certification
- Improve your eligibility for acquiring local funding
- Network with other Specialists
You do not require any previous experience or training. During the course, you will be asked to self-reflect and empathise with a person having thoughts of suicide.
- Understand suicide behaviour, impact and the ‘ripple effect’
- Learn what is meant by a ‘first aid approach’ to suicide intervention
- Appreciate the complex factors which contribute to thoughts of suicide
- Improve questioning and listening skills and gain the confidence to discuss intentions and options openly
- Learn to recognise the signs that someone may be at risk of suicide
- Know what next steps to take to keep someone safe – informal and formal interventions
- Consider self-care when helping others in crisis
Book your place by selecting your preferred date above.
ABOUT YOUR TUTOR: EMMA TOMES
Emma’s passion to help people learn how to prevent suicide began in 2010 when her former partner died by suicide. Since then Emma has used her years of experience within Learning & Development to become a Suicide First Aid Tutor, Mental Health First Aid Instructor with Mental Health First Aid England (MHFAE) and is also a Grief Recovery Specialist herself.